I find some of the best recipes when I am trying to use up stuff lying in the refrigerator for a long time. I had two zucchinis and a few bananas and I badly wanted to use them, before they go bad. I could not find enough motivation to consume as is and that is when I found this 🙂
The interesting part of this recipe is that, I got introduced to using flax seeds, a great source of fibre. This muffin seems to be a very good stomach filler too. I had this with a glass of milk this morning, and it was perfect for my breakfast. So enjoy this simple and healthy recipe. I enjoyed the process of baking them too, with my favourite music on!!!
- 2 medium sized Zucchini (the green ones)
- 1 large banana (preferably ripen one)
- 1 3/4 cups of all purpose flour (I used wheat flour)
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of grounded flax seeds. I powdered fresh seeds. (“Alsi”in Hindi, “Avisa Ginjalu” in Telugu)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 3/4 cup milk (I used 2%). You can also use Almond milk with vanilla flavor for added taste.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (You can skip this if you use flavored milk)
- Grate Zucchini and mash the banana with a fork. Keep it aside. (You don’t have to peel the skin of the Zucchini while grating it.)
- In a bowl, add the flour, ground flax seeds, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon powder.
- Whisk all the dry ingredients well, so that there are no lumps.
- Then add the milk, vanilla essence, the egg and the mashed banana and whisk the mixture.
- At the end, add the grated Zucchini. The green skin of the Zucchini looks beautiful in the muffin 🙂
- In a muffin tray (greased with little bit of oil), pour the batter till half of each slot. (This will let the muffin puff out well)
- Bake it. Remove it. Cool it and EAT IT 🙂
Baking Temperature: 350 degree F/180 degree C
Baking time: 15-18 minutes (or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean)
Quantity: I got about 20 muffins with this batter
- Flax seeds have very good fibre content which reduces cholesterol and also has great anti-oxidants.
- Obviously, no added fat (oil or butter) is always a great thing!
- Zucchini is very low in calories.
- Banana is a very good source of vitamins and an instant energiser.
Enjoy the muffin with no guilt 🙂 I am surely gonna make this again and again!