It has been my new year resolution (which apparently I am keeping it up) to cook a new dish every week. And last week I did two 🙂 One of them was Pad Thai.
My second favourite cuisine outside Indian is Thai. Primarily because, I get to have good enough vegetarian options. Thai green curry or Pad Thai are my two favourites in this cuisine. So here you go, with the tested and tasted recipe at home.
I looked at many recipes and I just did my version with available vegetables and and other ingredients. I never tried using Tofu at home and this was my first dish using tofu 🙂
This recipe serves 3. The procedure looks long but very easy to make plus all the ingredients are easy to get. Trust me it does not make a lot of mess in your kitchen 🙂
- Rice noodles ( You get flat rice noodles, which is usually used for this preparation. You can find it in asian grocery stores if not in general ones.)
- Veggies – I used carrots, cabbage, green capsicum, broccoli, spring onions. (No particular measurement. Used according to my taste)
- 2 garlic cloves
- Soya sauce – 3 tsp
- Brown sugar – 2 tsp (Most of the recipes I saw used Palm sugar)
- 1 lemon (Many recipes use tamarind paste too)
- Hot chilli sauce (I used Sriracha)
- 2 eggs
- Half cup roasted peanuts
- Tofu – As much as you want
- About 4 tsp Oil ( I used olive oil) [For omelette, tofu fry and the end dish]
- Salt to taste
- Soak the rice noodles in hot (not boiling) water till it becomes soft. The noodles may take about half hour to get soft in luke warm water.
- Make an omelette (plain) with two eggs. Roll the omelette and cut it into pieces (as shown in the picture). You can even use scrambled egg too. But the cut pieces may look better with this dish.
- I dry roasted the peanuts and break them into halves. I prefer the peanuts as is than coarse grinded ones or chopped ones.
- Cut the tofu into pieces. Shallow fry the tofu till both sides turn brown.
- Add the soya sauce, sugar and lemon and make the sauce and keep it aside.
- Cut the carrots, capsicum, cabbage into into julienne strips.
- Finely chop garlic cloves.
- Wash all the veggies.
- Chop the spring onions and keep the greens and whites separately. We use the whites while cooking and green for garnishing at the end of the preparation.
- Separate few broccoli florets.
- Heat about 2 tsp of oil in the pan.
- Add the finely chopped garlic. Once the raw flavour is gone, add the
- Add only the white part of the spring onions along with other veggies and stir fry it. Do not over fry the veggies.
- After 3-4 minutes, add the softened rice noodles and the sauce.
- Use two spatulas to saute the noodles so that the sauce is evenly spread.
- Leave it for a minute. Then add the omelette pieces and tofu and mix it well.
- At the end add the roasted peanuts, green part of the spring onions and very little salt. (Remember the noodles generally are slightly salted).
Serve it on to your plate and eat it hot 🙂 Awesome for lunch or dinner!!!
- For veggies, its always, more the merrier and healthier 🙂
- Tofu is low on calorie count and high on proteins.
- All the vegetables are only stir fried 🙂
A tad-bit of oil is of course okay 🙂